Monday, February 16, 2009

U-Blog 3

Last weekend I did my training observation at the Create IT Computer Camp, and really enjoyed it. The training session consisted of Dr. Norris giving a lecture on emerging technologies and the future of technology.

The session was very informative, and it was interesting to evaluate the lecture from a training standpoint. As a student, I am used to focusing on gaining knowledge from lectures, so at first it was hard to focus on the training aspects. As the session went on, it became easier to separate the two.

I began to focus on the tools Dr. Norris was using to convey his points. By far, the most useful tool in the lecture was his use of video to back up his lecture topic. Not only were the videos informative, many of them were also very thought provoking. I think that the use of multimedia was a good choice for his intended audience – the 20 high school age kids in attendance. I think that generation would gain more from a training session involving more digital or technological methods, and the interest level of the audience that I observed backs that up.

Here are some of the videos he used during the session:

Intel's Vision of the Future:


Photosynth:


Car tech = way cool. Here's a piece CNET did on the VW Gypsy Interface:


Google Latitude: Good for friends, bad for stalking...


Prometeus - The Media Revolution:


And, the closing video of the presentation. Here is... The Future:

3 comments:

  1. I had Dr. Norris for the TSTM 345 Class that taught Networking. I really enjoyed his class because he didn't just teach us what networking was and what we needed to know for today, he kept us informed on where technology was going and encouraged us to explore this ourselves.

    He also started every class with a news article and a video as you posted above to get us thinking about how things were changing and how we could apply the changes to what we were learning that day. He also let us pick an article ourselves and present it to the class for extra credit, which kept us researching and exploring the future ourselves.

    I did not know that he was teaching one of the training classes, or I would have loved to attend. He is a very thought-provoking teacher as you stated and I'm sure the training class was very interesting. I watched some of the videos and I'm sure that this was very effective in teaching high school age students because of their short attention spans. This is very helpful in thinking about different training techniques that need to be used for different age groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Dr. Norris did a wonderful job of communicated with a group of just fed, teenagers. He always does such a good job of conveying information and getting you excited to learn the information. He's such a good speaker.Thanks for sharing the videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, Thank you for sharing the videos! Dr. Keane

    ReplyDelete